Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormon Church:
"I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet. . . . " (History of the Church, Vol. 6, p. 408-409).
You have been taught that the
Such issues as preexistence of the souls (premortal life), hell, baptism for the dead, etc. are the not why the LDS is fundamentally non-biblical and thus non-Christian. Bur rather, it is their view of God:
1. the Father has not always been God—had to become God by obedience to His God --He was a mere man like we are today.
2. the Father has physical body "as tangible as man's" (D&C 130:22)—He is not spirit, as Jesus defined Him in John 4:24.
3. and the worst, God is not the only God—there are many Gods according to LDS doctrine. “Godhead” in LDS theology consists of three separate Gods with the Father as the main God for this world.
The LDS Jesus Christ:
1. Jesus is not eternal God in the flesh, second person in the Trinity (LDS rejects the biblical doctrine of the Trinity)--Jesus, like the Father, had to become God.
2. Jesus’ premortal spirit existence was wrought by a sexual act between the Father and one of his wives in heaven; and the physical body of eJesus was produced by a sexual act between the Father and the Virgin Mary.
3. Jesus was not Creator, rather the Father’s “helper” along with Adam. (also the LDS system of salvation, "eternal life," is a works plus faith system--thus denying the the total sufficiency of the work of Christ).
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
(LDS, i.e. the Mormon Church) affirms:
1. the existence of
many Gods (polytheism).
3. that God had to become God at a point in time (thus denying that God always existed as God).
6. that Jesus
Christ is not the eternal God (i.e., denying that He always existed as God).
8. that *black skin* (Indians, Africans, etc.) is a mark from God indicating that they are or were (depending on what LDS Prophet you read) cursed by God for their evil acts in their *first estate* in heaven (as *spirit children* before coming to earth).
Short LDS Tract: Here
NATURE OF GOD:
LDS theology holds to some very strange and heretical views of God, which are clearly inconsistent with biblical theology.
> Not Eternal
> God the Father is an exalted man with body parts and passions
> Many Gods (Polytheism), thus denying what God had already said concerning Himself:
Thus saith the LORD [Jehovah] the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. . . . (Isa. 44:6).
Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is NO God; I know NOT ANY (Isa. 44:8; emphasis added).
> God the Father was (and is) a polygamist that was married to Mary (Jesus' mother- who in in LDS theology, is God the Father's literal daughter! (see below).
The Mormon (LDS) view of Jesus Christ (concise)
The Christological Assertions of The
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints, with Exegetical Refutations (advance)
The LDS Church patently rejects the eternality of Jesus Christ. He, according the Mormons, became a God by obedience to law at a point in time. The Mormons assert that He was a mere man on a earth (like this one) who had to earn His own salvation (Just as His Father did).
Lucifer's spirit brother
Jesus was a polygamist
The Paternity of Jesus: Official LDS doctrine teaches that God the Father and the Virgin Mary had sexual intercourse to procreate Jesus' fleshly body. What is utterly pagan is that the Mormons say that we are all literal sons and daughters of the Father God and Mother God in heaven. Hence Mary, in LDS theology, was a literal daughter of the Father. The result: The LDS God the Father had sexual relations (and married) His own daughter to father the child Jesus.
Why is present day LDS theology dramatically different
than that of Joseph Smith's teachings?
The Early Teachings of Joseph Smith
The Mormon Church claims that they represent Jesus Christ. However, the Mormon Church is perhaps the most racist church that has ever emerged, under the banner of "Jesus Christ." Hence they do not represent Jesus Christ-- Jesus was not a racist.
Mormons and black skin
See also The Mormons and Black Skin: The Racists past of the LDS Church recorded live at one of our apologetic classes.
The Three Witnesses to the Book of Mormon
NOTE: it is not the major discrepancies and inconstancies that plague the history and origin of the Book of Mormon, nor is it the insurmountable problems with the Book of Mormon (internally and externally), but it is the God that the Mormons embrace that condemns them (cf. Jeer. 10:10-11).